"Children are a gift from the Lord."
-Psalm 127:3

About Me

My photo
I live in small town, Oklahoma, with my wonderful hubby. I am a mother of two grown children, three cats, and a dog. I am a member of the Church of Christ, and I work as the secretary for our church.

My Family

My Family

Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Bible is the 'goodest' thing to share!

It was a bitterly cold day here in Oklahoma!  I'm so ready for winter to be over and to have sunshine and warmer days.  I had three little girls in class today and they were so eager to see what the story was about. "B" is learning to read and lately has been asking where in the Bible our story is from.  She has learned to quickly find the scriptures all by herself in her Bible and then finds it for several of the others.  So, so sweet!
Today's lesson was about the first Christians sharing.  We learned that Saul had his named changed to Paul after he obeyed God and was baptized.  He then went on to preach and teach throughout the area.  "B" asked me, "What was Steve's name before he became a Christian and a preacher?  Steve is our local preacher.  I had to giggle a bit as I told her that I'm sure his momma named him Steve when he was born and that he's always been named Steve.  You just never know what's going on in these little minds!   I went on to explain that the people were baptized and first called Christians at the town of Antioch.  They all know about baptism and that people become Christians when they are baptized.  
They story goes on with the prophet Agabus warning Saul & Barnabas about a famine and that the people wouldn't have food or money to buy food.  The new Christians in Antioch brought money to Saul & Barnabas to take to the needy people.
Our application story was about a tornado going through a town and a family waited the storm out in a cellar and were safe.  None of their property was damaged but in a nearby town, there was much damage and destruction.  The children in this family overheard their parents talking about the loss of houses and such.  The children asked if they could give some of their toys and clothes to the storm victims.  My girls started naming things they could give to people in times like this-toys, food, money, and clothes.  I then told them that something else we can always share with others is the Bible.  "B" said, "The Bible is the goodest thing to share."  What a profound statement coming from a 5 year old little girl! 

"...and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch."-Acts 11:26


No comments:

Post a Comment